Friday, July 25, 2014

Day 40, Sandusky to Newbury, 90 miles

Best:  Beautiful weather

Worst: Electronic malfunctions

Most Unexpected:  Missing guitars at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After a very restful day yesterday cleaning my bike and lazying around the KOA, I got up this morning (hurrah), did all of the usual things and took off on the bike.  The riding was flat and with a tailwind up to Cleveland, and then the flatness went away.  The road followed one of the Great Lakes and I felt a little strange following it, kind of Erie.  Older houses along the lake gave way to major estates the closer we got to Cleveland.  We made good time with the exception of the stop lights (I would call them their correct name of traffic lights, but they really were stop lights).  

Cleveland was a challenge once again to get through, but the challenge was an easy one and with the exception of some road conditions, everything went right.  The really bad road was next to the airport and was actually called a bike route. Maybe a fat tire bike.  The bad road followed our brief stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which was devoid of any decoration on the outside.  Last time we took pictures with some oversize guitars, this time we just took a picture of the front. Right after the Hall of Fame, we went past a parking lot chock full of seagulls, and I got off the bike path and rode right through them.  The other riders were cheering, but it turned out they were cheering for me to get pooped on by the birds. 

We rolled through some nice sections of Cleveland including University Circle and Shaker Heights, the latter having some fine houses, and as we exited Shaker Heights we rolled past the servants houses which were only about 3000 square feet.  Prior to this we stopped in Little Italy and got gelato and Canneloni.  I wasn't sure where to stop in Clevland for food because my Big Ride Buddy Liz forgot to send me directions because she went to Paris.

Somehow we exited Cleveland as the houses slowly went away and to make up for their disappearance, the hills started.  My rear derailleur decided to fart around between three gears making it challenging to get in the right one for the hills.  At the same time my GPS which I lauded in previous blogs decided to have a tantrum and refused to talk to my phone which meant I couldn't load my route for today onto the GPS.  Holy Batman, I had to actually use a q sheet.  I really just followed people who had their q sheets readily available, but I was ready if I needed to be.  So between the Electronic shifting and the GPS, I was on the wrong side of the Electronic gods.

These happy faces were all over Huron.  

Feeling spooky?  How about Erie?  second time for this pun.

'I can't believe it is that big a lake!'

Cleveland as we crossed the bridge to downtown.

Blank shot, nothing on the plaza.

Battle of the planes, but look what they did to the road.



Servants quarters.

Our campground for today.

A clever reverse shot of the previous one.














2 comments:

  1. Rob:
    Hey, that is really amazing you are staying east of Cleveland, at what I would guess is Punderson State Park. I have fond memories of the place - - my high school sweetheart lived next to the Park, worked at the golf snack shop. . . kinda like Caddyshack. In fact, one weekend my pals and I rode our beater bikes out to the Park, about 25 miles (an oddysey then!) and camped out. That night, the aurora borealis actually occured!

    Doubt you'll see that, but thanks for the reference to my distant memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, did I really use all those exclamation points? I think my period key is playing tricks on me haha

    ReplyDelete