Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day 27, New Ulm rest day

Best:  Schell brewery tour (well actually not the tour but the beer tasting after)

Worst:  Missing out on Chicken Pot Pie at Lola's

Most Unexpected:  Thunder and lightning and rain just before I was going to ride my bike to Schells

Leisurely wake up at 6:30 and took off for Lola's downtown for breakfast.  I ordered the breakfast sandwich after finding out the Pull-a-parts were still rising.  The sandwich was a buttermilk biscuit with eggs and bacon between.  I took my kindle to read and was joined by Kevin and Jenn.  After they left, the waitress came up to me and told be the pull a parts were ready (like a cinamon bun but small pieces put together and a creme chesse frosting),  After consulting with my stomach which said it was full, the brain said fiil er up, and I had my second breakfast which explains why I didn't eat lunch.  Back for a sorely needed bike cleaning and drivetrain relubing, and just when I was prepared to ride my bike to a brewery tour, it started to pour.  Terry's dad, Red, came to the rescue and drove us to the brewery.  We just missed getting on the 12:00 tour as Kevin's relatives were visiting, and we let them go first through the door.  They promptly bought all of the remainng 10 tickets for the 12:00 tour so we went on the 1:00 tour.  About 25 minutes of a really weak tour, but then they made up for it with a lot of different beer tastings.  Between the four of us we had quite a lot of tastings.  At the end when you take up the bottles, they give you a full size glass of whatever you want.  In addition, I asked for a full glass of their root beer which I had after the beer.  Wobbling out, Red drove us downtown back to the Turner Hall and we had a hamburger and I skipped the beer.  The original plan was then for me to go to the movies at 4:00 and then go to Lola's for their chicken pot pie, but I was stuffed so opted to go back to the dorm to recuperate (and sober up).  We got driven back to our dorm by Chuck who we had met coming out of the Turner Hall the night before, and we sat next to tonight. We had great conversations with people both at the brewery and at Turner Hall. I am planning on catching up with my reading after this blog, eating some candy, and then settling in for an exciting ride tomorrow. Todays ride consisted of riding to Lola'sand back. It  felt good to be off the bike. 

At the Schell brewery lookin through the magnifying glass the wrong way.  

Self portrait.

Real portrait.

I put this together in the gift shop.  Caption reads Ant wins wrestling competition with a remarkable takedown at the end of the period.  Subsequently the gnome was eaten.

This was a few of the bottles the four of us drank at the beer tasting before ordering a full beer.  Kenny, Terry, Red and I managed to taste a lot of beer.  The couple down the table kept shipping us their almost full bottles after they did their 3 oz each, and we helped oblige them.  

Kenny with his new bike shirt.  Note both hands are full of beer.

Kenny's new shirt from the front showing the tag still attached.  This tag stayed on even at dinner at the Turner club.

Talking with Becka's dad who came to see her at the brewery.

The two couples who I enjoyed chatting with at the Turner Bar.  They escaped New Ulm but were back to see their parents.  Can you guess who is related to who?









1 comment:

  1. I think the two center people are brother and sister. Am I right? The magnifying photo is great.
    Only 4 days this week. It is almost a rest week!

    ReplyDelete