Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 32, Madison rest day (sort of)

Best: Tour of the Trek factory

Worst: No swag from the tour.

Most unexpected: Eating at Ella's deli with the highly entertaining interior.

After last nights dinner at the dorm which was quite good, kind of a food court, (and we all ate like survivors off a lost amzonian expedition), we went down to the Student Center for beer and ice cream for me.  It was great sitting down by the water soaking in the ambiance, and I had to get a turtle sundae for the walk towards the Capitol.  The ice cream is Babcock made by the University. I went to bed at 9:00 feeling like a trained animal, and woke up at 6:00.

I went downtown for a bagel and salmon shmear, and took one of my cheeses from yesterday.  Probably wasn't the smartest thing to have left the cheese in my saddlebag. I changed the chain on my bike, went to a bike shop, and then we kept going for an organized tour of the Trek factory.  We stopped at Ella's deli for lunch.  They advertised the best Reuben in the midwest, and I ordered the pastrami reuben.  It was the best I have eaten in the midwest, mainly because I hadn't eaten one here before.  It was just okay.

Then for the highlight, a tour of the Trek factory where they make all of their carbon bikes.  I enjoyed the tour, but there was a lot of secret stuff they didn't show us.  Back to the dorm, I walked past the Capitol to the Old Fashion which is a restaurant.  I had read before the trip that their macaroni and cheese was one of the best in the country, so I ordered it with ring bolgna, and a beer, or maybe two.  The ring bolgna is like a kielbasa sausage.  I liked the macaroni and cheese, but not sure why it is one of the best in the country.  Off to the Student Union for a small ice cream, and I sat and listened to a country band play.  That was my day. 

One note of warning, the wi fi and cellular service is going to start getting sketchy and will impact the publishing of this modern masterpiece.  

The Armory on the campus.

The lake at 6:30 a.m.

Me with Bucky.


Everything moves in Ella's.






Look how strong I am lifting the worlds lightest production bike (10 pounds)

A bike actually raced by a pro racer in the Paris-Roubaix.

This should give away whose bike this is.  We saw the rider in the Tour de France during a prologue which he won several years ago.  Note the q sheet attached to the top tube (Cancellera)


The student commons at 6:45 a.m.

And at 5:30 p.m.


Science Hall.  and finally a sculpture which will make you smile.


















No comments:

Post a Comment