Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 35, Coal City to Valapariso, Indiana 85 miles

Best: Walking to the microbrewery about 8 minutes from our dorm for a cold one

Worst: Roads in Indiana, no question about it.

Most Unexpected:  Avoiding taking a detour, and yet ending up 4 miles more than the days 81  miles


Same old morning routine except it is getting dark, so headlights recommended for taking down camp to avoid leaving things behind.  There was a porta potty around the building from where we are staying, so rather than walk the 43 miles to the real restroom, I took the shortcut. I was on KP again today so we got a late start.  I rode with Anita, and the Rogers to start out with, but Anita fell back.  It is  hard to follow an electric bike, and I didn't do too much of it today.  The problem is that the bike runs at a set speed, the same going flat or uphill.  It does have adjustable speeds, but for short climbs the rider keeps  it the same.  This means your effort on the bike continually changes from flat to uphill and this  is  tiring.  I do  enjoy riding behind for the wind blocking, but not much wind to block today. 

We crossed into Indiana today, but the state didn't spend money on a sign, and it definately didn't spend money on todays roads. First picture is of the made up Indiana state sign, and the second is of the well constructed roads.

I'm hanging from the Indiana state sign, (Thanks Kenny)

The picture above includes my GPS which if you remember  my discussion on  the q sheets a couple  of days ago, takes the place of them.  Notice how it says left on HWY 2, so I don't have to keep reading a piece of paper that flaps around, I just look down and it tells me what to do. It did have a detour from my previous trip on it and the GPS tried to make me take it again, but I wasn't fooled, I was ready  and ignored it.  The detour we were supposed to take this year didn't happen and we were happy to save miles, but somehow eliminating the detour added abour 4 miles to our ride. Maybe it was just the extra mileage from bouncing around on the roads.

Roads were farily flat today, and again wind was not a factor.  Temperatures are going up and we rode into the mid 80's today. Not the year, Indiana is not that backward although the roads were probably built then, 1880's that is.

We are staying at Valaparaiso University in the dorm, so no mosquitos today, and we have air conditioning.  Also laundry so I washed my sheets today to lessen the need for febreeze in my tent. After we got to the dorm, eating some snacks, and starting laundry, Kevin and Jenn invited me to walk to a local brewery, which I obliged them.  Beer was good, and we plan to visit an Ice Cream store in the same general direction after a dorm dinner.  

Overall it was another good day, and that will help with tomorrows monster  day of 109 miles on the loverly Indiana roads.  
Why?



Welcome to Indiana.  This was a good road.

It was kind of weird on todays ride in terms of housing.  This seems to be the homes of people who commute to Chicago and want to live in the country, so you travel down a road, and suddently there would be a subdivision with big houses, some really really big.  If you don't believe me, check out the next two pictures.  The first was taken 50 feet before the second.

Nice country road, and then look left and see ...


100 feet further down the road.











No comments:

Post a Comment