Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 18, Gillette to Newcastle, 77 miles with little to show for it.

Best: Riding in the wake of the Rodgers

Worst: No ice cream within walking distance.

Most Unexpected: Riding into Newcastle at the front of the pack after leaving Gillette dead last. (it is not a race)

I took down my tent last night after setting it up to dry and moved into the high school to sleep.  I found a corridor that was dark and set up my sleeping area.  We had a catered BBQ last night consisting of pulled pork and pulled beef if there is such a thing.  Beans were also served which is not the brightest thing to give bicylists who usually ride behind each other.

We rode off this morning at 6:05 into a very light wind.  The first 24 miles flew by and I was behind Cathy on her e-bike and hubbie Paul.  Cathy's hubbie, not mine.  The most interesting part was passing four miles of coal trains in a mile.  What's that?  There were four coal trains all lined up on the sidings, two moving forward, and two waiting to clear.  Here is your factoid for today: They load up a coal train every hour which means they are digging a tunnel one mile long, 15 feet wide and 15 feet deep every hour.  Thats a lot of coal.

We caught a pretty good headwind before lunch in the 10 mph range, and I had visions of two years ago when the winds were in the 30 mph range.  Fortunately they topped out today at the 10-12 mph range and although it was hard, I didn't have to stop every mile like two years ago for the last 11 miles.  Interesting in that several other 2012 Big Riders were doing the same thing even though I couldn't see them.  So overall todays ride was an okay day of work which could have been much easier or much harder.  Scenery was pretty blah, although I actually looked around this time unlike two years ago when I only looked down so I wouldn't have to see how far I had to go.

We are holed up in the Senior Center in Newcastle.  We got here just before noon, giving us time to recuperate.  Most people are sleeping outside, but once again I have found a quiet room to put up my sleeping quarters.  Air conditioning and no extra time to take down the tent.  I know that for some people part of the experience is tenting, but I have done plenty of camping outside in my life, and I like sleep a lot.  It is not a good thing to fall asleep on a bike. 

Dinner tonight is going to be lasagna.  This is the first time this trip, but I predict we will have it at least three more times. We are also going to get ambrosia for dessert.  Be still my heart. 

This is my fake setup last night before I moved inside the high school.  The mascot is the Camels.  Who has a mascot called the camels?  At least it should be the spitting camels.

Four mile long trains stacked up. 

This was awesome.  This antelope ran with us for about half a mile trying to get through the fence.  Eventually it found a hole at the bottom of the fence  and ducked under and ran away. Terry was able to shoot video of this action. I also saw the funniest roadkill, a rabbit that was squashed flat with its ears still sticking up in the air. 

Best town on earth?  Voted by the 1100 citizens of Upton.


Now imagine a headwind as you are riding this road.  Not a lot of protection.  Cool train coming the other way.  Guess what it is carrying. 

This is where most people are sleeping tonight, and I am .......

in here.

There is a very cool model railroad set up in the Senior Center.  Someone has a lot of time on their hands.  

There are a variety of class photos in the Senior Center from the local high school.  This is my favorite student.

You probably thought I was joking above about the mascot at the last high school.  Here is the proof.  It looks like the camel is snorting some kind of white powder.












5 comments:

  1. This was a great post. I love the "Spitting Camels" recommendation and the test about what the train is carrying. I think you could rock Marvin Wolfe's hair style. Glad the head wind was somewhat kind. I remember the conversation after this ride two years ago. No comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coal trains, wind, Upton and the Newcastle senior center, remember it all so well. Great writeup and pictures, brings back the 2012 ride ! Have fun, todays ride to Rapid City was one of my favorites, getting through Custer State Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ride into Rapid City was just as you remember it, really gorgeous until the final turn towards Rapid City. Unlike 2012, we had a very nice tailwind at this point instead of the drudgery we faced with the headwind.

      Delete
  3. Happy 4th Rob. What year was that high school picture taken? If it was the '50's, that guy was decades ahead of his time - and place, too!

    Hope the wind is at your back this weekend.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year was 1934. Lyle Lovett would have been proud.

      Delete