Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 28, New Ulm to Owatonna, 73 miles of easy living.

Best:  How do you beat 70 degree weather in Minnesota in July?

Worst: GNATS

Most Unexpected:  Getting to Owatonna before 11:00

Big Riders leave big shadows!  Especially at 6:00 in the morning.  I felt sandwiched today looking ahead into the rising sun, and behind into the descending almost full moon.  I just couldn't figure out how to take that picture.

We stood around outside our dorm at Martin Luther College eating breakfast and literally being bombarded with gnats.  Yesterday they were all over as well.  Even the locals were saying how many bugs are out.  The gnats were trying to enter any orifice they could find, and gazillions of them overwhelmed our puny defences.  In the midst of these hordes of gnats, a few mosquitos in gnats clothing snuck in and pulled out their pint of blood.  I fled the breakfast and got going as fast as I could. Everytime you stopped at a stop sign (yes bikes do stop) or a signal, the gnats, who were called by their relatives in New Ulm, would swarm in.  Eventually this bombardment ended although I did eat a lot of protein for the first hour or so. 


Unbelievable weather with the temperature in the 70's and the wind being a light tailwind.  I just know we are being set up for something real bad.  We learned their is a polar vortex approaching us which sounds ominous, but indicates we are going to get maximum temperatures in the 60's for the next several days.  What month is this? 

We cruised through the relatively flat roads, and relatively means they were really flat. Unfortunately the roads were not flat in terms of the riding surface.  The first part of the ride was bumpy, then we hit a new section of highway14 which was smooth and wonderful up to lunch.  Then the remnants of some major nuclear bombing appeared before us and out bikes got pounded, pounded, and pounded some more. I know, I am such a whiner after having great temperatures, wind, and flatness, but my blog would be really boring if I didn't add something.  Otherwise the blog for today would be one line saying, I got up, rode the flat roads with moderate temperatures and good wind until Owatonna where I am now sleeping.

Yesterday's picture of the two couples in the bar, the two ladies were sisters.  In person they looked very similar, especially after having had a few beers at the brewery.

When I woke up from my ride, I found I was in Owatonna and stopped at the Scream for ice cream.  Unfortunately because it was around 10:30, the store was closed, so I went downtown to admire the bank building designed by Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wrights boss, and called home to check in. 





I made it to the fairgrounds where the worst showers in the world live along with unimaginable things growing in the worst showers in the world. Fortunately we got access to the Four Seasons Centre where we used the showers used by ice hockey teams. These restrooms will close tonight, so when I brush my teeth and get ready for bed, I will be going down in the dungeon where the restrooms reside. Say a prayer for me.  

After setting up my tent, which I must say is awesome, showering, and drinking fluids, we headed back to the Scream where I had the following:
This is green apple ice cream with a boatload of caramel sauce, whipped cream, peanuts and a cherry.

We did have a minor detour today.  We were rolling down the road following the q sheets (directions) in a group of five when the last person, Lisa, said we were supposed to turn left at the signal, not go straight.  She was the only one who saw the Dan Henry's on the ground.  Dan Henry's are painted symbols on the ground usually consisting of a circle with a line coming outside the circle in the direction you are supposed to travel.  If not for Lisa, we would have missed the detour and gotten stuck in construction which is why it is not majority rules in determining which way to go. 

You will be pleased to note that I had my first pluot of the trip. (obviously not much to report about today)  Marich Chocolates sent us another care package in New Ulm and I am now a firm believer in eating chocolates while riding the bike.  



This is Loon(y) lake named after me.

Kenny, Kevin, and Jenn indulging at the Scream with appropriate symbols.  I had stopped by here just after 11:00 after killing time downtown to find out what time they opened up, and the server was aware we would be coming back later.  I think the bike would be comfortable to ride in Minnesota with only the top tube giving it a lot of flex for the potholes/cracks. 

The fairgrounds where we are staying.

The approach to the dungeon bathroom showers.

Avert your eyes, this is the dungeon facility.  In an effort to help you sleep tonight, I offer the following picture captured on today's ride.

Sleep well.





No comments:

Post a Comment