Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 19, Newcastle to Rapid City, Welcome to South Dakota, good riddanceWyoming

Best:  Beautiful descent through Custer park

Worst:  Getting shuttled around a 7.5% descent because of construction.

Most Unexpected: Bug attack through Custer park.

Start with last night, I had an encounter with a senior citizen who I enjoyed talking with.  She asked me if I liked taking trips, and then said she didn't enjoy them as much because her eyesight is going.  She said" I can't even tell if you are good looking"  I replied in my best Barry White imitation that of course I was extremely good looking.  My nose grew a little longer.

Todays ride was gorgeous after we left Newcastle and climbed into the Black Hills of South Dakota.  They had a welcome to South Dakota sign unlike Wyoming who did not have a welcome sign at this end of the state either.  Wyoming either needs better landscaping, or better welcome signs.  I wonder which would cost more.


After the obligatory sign shop, we climbed up to 5900 before leveling off.  Just as we were going to take advantage of the height, construction had ripped up the road so we got shuttled around a 7.5% downslope.  (we also missed a short 7% upslope).  I was actually bummed this time unlike earlier this week where I was happy to get shuttled 2.5 miles in the middle of our 112 mile ride. We exited Black Hills national park and went through the town of Custer which was getting ready for a parade for some reason. I missed staying at the Flintstone campground.

After the town of Custer we entered Custer State Park.  Why is everyting named Custer? It's like naming everything Napoleon in Belgium after the battle of Waterloo.

Custer Park is beautiful, and after some very short climbs, we crossed a cattle guard that took down one of our riders.  Bad Cattle Guard.  I then started a great descent that wasn't steep, but went through beautiful scenery and had easy curves.  I entered a insect party and was inundated by bugs that attached themselves all over.  I looked down and thought there was a bug mating ceremony occurring on my chest.  At the rest stop at the bottom of the descent, a motorist made a u-turn and stopped.  He had ridden the 2000 Big Ride with Lynn and wanted to check in.  Lynn and he struggled to remember each other, but I think it was a lost cause.  (There were 200 riders that year) The former Big Rider was a councilmember in Rapid City, but didn't offer me free seats at tonights 4th of July festivities in their square.  This includes an electronic fireworks show, basically a large tv showing fireworks.  yippee.  We had a nice tailwind once we made the turn towards Rapid City for the last 17 miles.  

We checked in with Charlton, and Anita who made it in first today, and I, went to the Armadillo ice cream store where I had a fresh peach sundae, Large of course.


We are going downtown tonight for a farewell dinner for Gene at the Firehouse brewpub, 11 blocks from where we are.  I will be riding my bicycle.  Tomorrow is a rest day and will include a trip to see the Big Heads, and the Big Native American. 
Black Hills


More Black Hills.




It is the 4th of July after all.  These flags were installed all along a fence line just outside Custer state park.

View of the terrain heading towards Rapid City.
Rapid City town square with kids playing in sprinklers.  It is hot today.













No comments:

Post a Comment