Thursday, June 5, 2014

Trusty steed

Here it is, the bike that I am putting my faith into that will transport me with ease across the great old USA.  The bike was actually built in the US (well the company is in the US, and if this was the custom model it would have been built in New England, but its not the custom frame so the frame was manufactured in China).  I built up the frame with parts so I can say it was built in California.
The bike is a Parlee Z5 SLI and is equipped with Dura Ace DI2.  I have been asked the weight and with pedals, water bottles, etc. it weighs 190 pounds.  The etc. includes me.
I have named the bike after the volleyball in the Tom Hanks movie Cast Away.  Surprisingly it also happens to be my last name
The handlebar tape is new and replaces the ho hum black that I first put on the bike. It is a leather wrap from the company Handlebra.  Bra being real close to BRAA which is the Big Ride Across America. I put cork tape below the leather for the extra cushion I will need for the ride.  The company calls this a stuffed bra.  I did not make this up.  


One other important note, the saddle is an ergon which I have been riding for the last 2500 miles, and I have high hopes that my voice will not be any higher when I get done with the ride.  I just spent this afternoon boxing this up for delivery to Seattle and hopefully it will not arrive in more pieces than when it left.  Only 11 more days until I become close friends again with my faithful steed.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Rob. I hope the wind is always at your back, you have no rain, and it's all downhill . . . Maybe next time I will accompany you!

    John Pomidor

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is where my comment on the cool tangerine handle bar tape should be! I will figure this comment thing out before the 48 days are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By now, you are well on your way, relatively speaking (mabe rain, cool weather, and only 3450 more miles to go!). Hope all goes well and can't wait to hear about it.

    John

    ReplyDelete