Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 2, Easton to Vantage De Ja Vu all over again 73 miles

Best: Incredible tailwind leading up to a fantastic downhill to camp

Worst: Packing up the wet tent this morning, and getting to todays camp with a wet pillow as a result.  It looked like I had a massive drool problem.

Most Unexpected: Finding a meat market that sold beef jerky and something called a land jaeger not to be confused with jaegermeister.  The meat store was over a hundred years old even though the meat didn't look that bad

Below is the camping setup for last night between the rain showers.  Note how the green tent really liked my red tent.  Note also how the green tent seems to be set up in an unusual manner.

Today I got up at 5:00 after a cold nights sleep. Everything was pretty soaked that was out last night.  We left the campsite at 6:45 as if you care.  We rode on wet roads so all the chain cleaning we did last night was wasted.  We did not get rained on (yeah) and it did warm up.  We stopped in Cle Elum and we found a meat store, Owens, and the beef jerkey came highly recommended. In addition there was a cooked sausage called land jaeger that apparently does not need refrigeration.  The sausage wasn't quite ready and needed another two days to be ready.  However when the person working there heard we were going across the country and so unfortunately wouldn't be back, he sold me one and told me to air it out for another two days and it would be ready for eating.  If I die of salmonella, remember it was Owens who did it.  My tent smells like a giant sausage.

Onward we went with a great tailwind and not a lot of climbing, in fact it was mostly downhill slightly.  We climbed the last hill and then down a hill for 11 miles with speeds up to 44 mph.  I skipped the petrified forest (three trees) that I visited two years ago and consisted of rocks in underground cages.  The three guys I was riding with stopped resulting in my rolling into the campground first for the first time by default.  All three riders are faster than me which was why I told them the petrified forest was full of naked women and of course they stopped.  

Tonights dinner will be prix fixe at the local restaurant.  Enjoy the pictures below of todays ride.  Note the huge difference in landscape between the start of the ride, and the end.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Such an improvement from yesterday! 2 days down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are great and bring back great memories. I hope you have more dry days than wet. ~BRAA 2008 rider

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did any riders attempt the windfarm on this day? My hunch is an extra 3 miles of uphill was gracefully "passed on..." ;-)

    ReplyDelete