Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 9, Missoula rest day, 0.03489 miles

Best:  Ice cream sundae at the Big Dipper

Worst: Riding the bike without bike shorts

Most unexpected:  Finding a brewery and having a brewski.

We woke up early and headed out for breakfast at the diner formerly know as Food for Thought.  The new diner, whose name I won't mention because they will be out of business before anyone reading this blog vists, didn't open until 8:00 so we went to Buttercups where I had an everything bagel with lox spread.  Back to the dorm for cleaning the bike.
The white board is up giving the details for tomorrows ride.  This happens every night before the next days ride and gives us weather conditions, and schedule.
While waiting to get going to REI, I just had to hike up the the Big Dipper for an ice cream sundae including Huckleberry ice cream and maple walnut, then across the street to the bike store to buy a new t-shirt, all before 11:00.  Ice cream ages fast during the day so I had to get mine fresh.
We set off to REI so I could buy the riders more drink mix and I got carded. The Missoula store required a call to my store in Mountain View to confirm employment, and while I am obviously not working there, my employment runs to June 28th.  After passing scrutiny, we went back to the dorm.
I then rode into town to Adventure cycling where I got my picture taken and put on the wall of riders crossing the country.  I don't feel special anymore when you see all of the pictures, and most of them are riding with all of their stuff on their bicycle. I was wearing the Marich chocolate hat, but it doesn't really show.  I suspect they will now stop sending chocolate as a result.


I crusied the streets of downtown MIssoula on foot and went to Broadway bagel for another bagel with artichoke spread.  It was delicious, but of course it was also my second bagel of the day.  So lets recap my eating today,  Bagel for breakfast, Ice cream sundae for first lunch, bagel and spread for second lunch, and I am awaiting a slice of pizza to call it a day.  Heathly eating at its best. 

I found a distillery downtown but didn't partake, and a brewery on this side of the river where I did partake with Charles.

In between the alcohol draws, I did revisit the Boone and Crockett club famous as being started by Teddy Roosevelt and the start of the preservation of parks.  Of course the reason they wanted the preservation was so they could kill the animals and nobody else could.  The shot below is the first thing you see when you enter the club.

Here is another dead thing after you get past the bare,bear butt.

I am tired on my rest day.  I think I screwed up.  Here are a few more pictures.







2 comments:

  1. Tired on the rest day? That only works on vacations where you aren't riding 98.6 miles the next day. Never fear, the Avon ladies await you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of the fresh morning ice cream! The bare bear was pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete