Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day 48, Clarksburg to Washington D.C. finale, 40 miles

Best: Predicted rain never happened and it was a beautiful night and day.

Worst:  Riding is all done, never to be repeated (again)

Most Unexpected: Leading the group to Washington D.C.

Last night's rain never materialized except for some light droplets at times, and the tent was bascially dry in the morning.  I packed up my tent for the last time, (thank God) and loaded the truck at 5:30, then rode the bike across the road from the campground for breakfast.  This is where we also ate dinner at a catered dinner for our last night together on the Big Ride.  We ate really well including steak, and blueberry pie, said our thoughts about the Big Ride, and made up unusual awards for the riders.  I ended up with the Animal Bonding award (for always saying hey to cows), Most Shiftless because nobody thinks I shift very much on my bike, (I have electronic shifting so they don't notice when it happens), and BRAA Clown (I am not sure why).  It was an emotional night and then we went to bed.

After breakfast which was late, we hit the road for our 40 final miles.  I led most of the way to Washington D.C. primarily because I set a pace everyone could pedal being not the fastest rider.  We rode some rollers, and then caught the bike path/foot path to D.C.  Being a Saturday, it was fairly crowded, but nobody was hurt in the making of the commerical.  We had time to see the Jefferson Memorial before heading to our lunch spot hosted by a previous Big Rider from 1998, Costas.  He had hosted us 2 years ago in his food court restaurant in the Post Office Building before it was bought out by Donald Trump, He of the worst combover in the world.  Costas was subsequently kicked out of the building along with all of the other restaurants, but had his friend in the Reagan building provide us with food in addition to Costas bringing in spinachkota (spelled wrong), baklava, cheesecake, and greek salad.  We then left the restaurant weighing our original weights before the trip and proceeded down the path to glory, received our medals from Charlton and Lynn, and then picture time.  I ended up getting interviewed along with Becka, and Anita for the Fox local affiliate, and we got to see the report tonight at our second farewll dinner.  I don't know what part got aired but I saw my ugly mugg on the TV.

After cleaning up in my hotel room with a BED, I went back down to the street to box up my bike leading to the need for another shower.  At 5:30 we all rendezvoused at a fancy bar for our last get together, and now I am back finishing up this blog for the next to last time.  Sometime in the near future, probably never to be read, I will give up my final thoughts.  Here are the last days pictures including one from last night.

Last nights camp.



How to put up a tent when you forget the poles. (and also the mattress pad).

On a road in Maryland, narrow and very pretty.

The bike path




The bike path looking backwards.

Virginia just across the river.

Heading to the...

Jefferson Memorial which can be seen from the White House below.


Inside the Ronald Reagan Building.

Just a part of the food served for lunch.


Getting ready to line up to stage for our final part of the ride. 

Ta Da!

The three single guys (married, but without their partners, the other three guys were with their significant others on the ride. Kenny, me, and Terry.



















2 comments:

  1. Terrific job! I love this photo of you and the bike in front of the capital. It is done and you did extremely well. Proud is insufficient to say the least. Nearly time to get on a plane and fly home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya done good Rob ! Fun to read your blog and great to see that everyone got the ride all done. And the campsite in Maryland this year looks like it was a heck of a lot better than that hot football field with locked up bathrooms that we had ! Safe journeys home !

    ReplyDelete